Herbs to get you started
SUN – These first 3 herbs will thrive in a hanging basket that receives full sun. They are heat tolerant and can stand to dry out a bit between waterings.
1. Tarragon – is a classic French herb used to season fish and many other foods. Plant it infullsunandwell-drainedpotting mix. It tolerates drought well and should not be overwatered. Tarragon grows in partial hade butdoes best in full sun.
2. Prostrate Rosemary – Rosemary loves growing in a hot and dry environment, making it perfect for a hanging asket. Be sure not to overwater accidentally, by planting it in a basket of other herbs that require much more moisture.
3. Prostrate Sage – You may be surprised to know that even sage has a prostrate variety: Salvia officinalis ‘prostrates’ , that would do well in a basket in full sun. Harvest it all season and dry it as you go. By the end of the season, you will have enough to last the entire winter.
SHADE – What do you do if your garden is in a shady location? These next 4 herbs will thrive hanging in shady areas.
1. Parsley – Parsley is one of those herbs that can tolerate most any condition. Like any herb that will be spendingmuch of its time in the shade, keep parsley trimmed to keep it from sprawling.
2. Chives – Chives, any variety, will grow well in a shade garden. You may find less blooming, but the fresh taste and bright green habit will flourish. Try using chives to fill in a shade garden backdrop for shorter, more colorful shade loving herbs.
3. Thyme – Thyme comes in many sizes and colors of blooms. Youcan add this fragrant, but hardy herb. Thyme does best in dappled sunlight, rather than deep shade.
4. Mint – It may come as no surprise that mint will also grow very well in shade gardens. Because of its vigorous habit, it is still a good idea to plant it in a container, which can be sunk into theground. This will keep the mint from taking over completely! You must keep this fast growing herb pinched back hard, as it will grow leggy while trying to find some light. Mint is a great filler for those shade garden designs that need some extra specimens.
Phone 07 3366 0911 fax: 07 3366 4988